Friday, June 10, 2011

Advice for Grads & Reminders for the Rest of Us

The past month we’ve been helping families create and send numerous graduation cards.  I think the unique ability to create their own cards with as many photos as they desired set their invitations apart.  As we celebrate the 2011 graduates, I have flashbacks to my own commencements… high school, college and graduate school.  It sounds cliché, but the statements of “Live your dreams” or “You are in control of your destiny” are pretty prominent and very true as we have the future in our hands. We make our own decisions.

There was a commencement address of from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, who told the graduates of the Boston College School of Law, “My advice to you is to stay optimistic. Things usually have a way of working out.”  Again, it’s cliché to say; however, it is very true - the future is not like it used to be.  No longer do you need to work 40 hours a week for forty years… I really enjoyed the book, “The Business of the 21st Century” by Rich Dad Poor Dad author, Robert T. Kiyosaki.  He makes great statements and questions – and sums it up by saying ‘you need to take charge of your future by taking control of your income source – today! You need your own business.”

If you’re like us, you might think “Oh, really?” How am I going to have my own business?  Well, Mr. Kiyosaki, our family and numerous others would tell you to look at Direct Sales or Network Marketing.  As we’ve blogged (see archive), you need to research the businesses you are interested in and consider – their history and their future… including their competition.  We have our story and so do many other entrepreneurs in other business; it’s finding what is best for you… for your family.

If I could add other nuggets, it would be:

(1) It’s going to take work. Just like any j-o-b, you will have to work for your goals; however, in direct sales (network marketing) there is no ceiling.  You can achieve more than the one who sponsored you… you don’t have to wait for someone to retire to advance in this business.
(2) Don’t be afraid of failure. I wish I could immediately put my hands on the quote about Edison and the numerous times he failed with the light bulb or Michael Jordan and the missed shots.  It basically said, “I succeed because I failed.”  [I’m sure one of you will find the full quotes for me.]
(3) Don’t hesitate to take a leap of faith… if you’ve heard a “WHAT IF” whisper – maybe you take it.  You don’t have to leave your j-o-b while you start a direct sales position… and sometimes it fits well with your current position.  But if you have goals to leave your j-o-b, then make goals… perhaps you start off to make $X/month to equal your current salary and then your next goal is to double that… and so forth. 

I will tell you after being in direct sales for nine years and only one year with SendOutCards, this is the best opportunity I have ever been part of.  I am blessed to be home with our three boys and be present for all their school, sports and extra-curricular events.  I add to our budget with a real income and save for splurges like vacations and weekend fun.  We have a team of men and women who I am empower and providing opportunities that they never thought possible.  And if you know Tim or I personally, then you know how our CardsAndMohr team’s success means more than any personal success we attain.  Seeing others obtain freedom – time, money and stress warms my heart. It's like our proud parent moments in regards to sponsoring. 

Maybe you’ve heard the “WHAT IF” whisper… maybe you had a fleeting thought for an idea… there is no better time to try it than right now. If you are inspired by an idea, follow it.  As my dear biology teacher, coach and mentor used to say “should of, could of, would of never won a ball game.  Don’t wait – your time is now.  Always here to help and cheering you on - Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment