Saturday, April 7, 2012

Unplug - 24 Hour Challenge

It’s Easter and our family has talked a lot about sacrifice with our preparation for Lent. As it comes to a close, I want you to consider all that has been sacrificed for you – in a deep, spiritual way and maybe in another manner. 
So as I challenge our family, I challenge you – For the next 24 hours to go UNPLUGGED.  Gasp!  I heard my husband too; he probably thinks I can’t do it.  Our family is unplugging today today, April 7th  at 6pm to Sunday, April 8th at 6 pm as our twenty-four hour period… decide what is best for you and what your limits will be.  We are unplugging everything – except for the phone. (We want to be able to talk to family for the holiday.)
Yep, to put it in writing, we are giving our family a break from all technology… the computer, iPad, smart phones (no cheating) to also avoid emails, Facebook, Twitter and some apps. In addition to these items, the kids are also unplugging and taking a 24 hour break from the Wii and Nintendo DS. This is about the part I start praying for good weather. J
And if for some reason you don’t think you can do 24 hours, then shoot for 12 – but make it meaningful for some daytime hours so you can change your focus and not run to your phone each time the text chime goes off or an email gets pushed.
Don’t think I don’t understand the torture of being without connection to the email and FB, but our family has always been my priority with my business and this is my 24 hours to prove to them that they will always be first – and for the kids to know they can ‘survive’ without their technology too.
In closing as you reflect on the sacrifices in religious or familiar stories, take this challenge. I’m going to bet you find the quality of time you have with your family heighten and the stress of feeling like you need to respond to the electronic world lessen.
From our family to you, Happy Easter!
Hugs, Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment