Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What Are You Afraid of Before Starting Your Business?

Today’s blog was inspired by watching the Blue Angels fly at an airshow this weekend. These pilot fly their planes in formation and are only 18 inches (yes, eighteen inches) apart.  I'm not afraid to fly, but if I was that close to another plane, I'm pretty sure I'd be afraid. However, I am not afraid to succeed... and I'm not afraid to fail... and that is why we took our life in our own hands with our own busines.
I’ve heard from many of you wanting to start a home business; however, that statement was followed by “I’m afraid to get started.”  I, in no way, want to downplay the fear you have expressed, but I’m asking you to dig deep and find out what you are afraid of? What is the risk? What is the obstacle in your way… holding you back?
You know what, you are not alone? It is hard for me to think of a business owner I know who doesn’t fear something and I am pretty sure you would have problems finding one too.  (I’ll write another day about a great leadership activity we did yesterday regarding goals & obstacles.) Yes, business owners may have fear; however, we use resources around us to achieve our success.
I would encourage you to look at the business you have or are considering.  For example, with anyone we sponsor with Send Out Cards, this is how we get we approach it.  We usually ask three non-threatening questions.  “Do you send cards & gifts? Do you know others who send cards & gifts? Do you want to make money on the cards & gifts you and others send?  Once we get past these initial questions, then we look at the business.   And these are the questions I would tell you to ask yourself regarding the business you are considering: 
  • What is the start up cost?
  • What is the risk?
  • How fast do you get your initial investment back?
  • Is there inventory?
  • Is there a need for your business (product)?
  • How long has the business been around?
  • And where is the future?
Once you walk thru these questions, you’ll provide clarity for yourself and your family regarding the business you choose and the why.  (The WHY – we’ll save that too for another blog entry. J )  For us and SOC, we answered our questions and made our choice with no regrets. The ‘risk’ was minimal and we got our investment back in the first 30 days.  We knew lots of friends who sent cards and gifts – and lots of friends who wanted to save money in sending those cards and make money sending those cards.
There is always a lot to consider, but do not be led by fear. Get rid of that obstacle.  Find a business, find a responsible sponsor who will help lead you to success, ask these questions and make a decision as a family.  And you’ll find that while you have your own business, you are not in business by yourself. Shoot for the moon!  --Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment